What is Reverse Sneezing, and Is It Dangerous?

February 26, 2010

Reverse sneezing in dogs and cats isn’t really a sneeze. If you’ve ever noticed your pet snorting, honking or gasping for breath, you’ve just witnessed a reverse sneeze. It is something we need to be aware of as pet owners because frequent reverse sneezing can be a symptom of other conditions that would require a vet’s attention.

A reverse sneeze, in more medical terms, is called pharyngeal gag reflex or paroxysmal respiration. This is a condition where a dog or cat will extend their neck and begin making gasping noises that sound like the pet is on their last legs. They may snort or even make honking noises all the while acting like they can’t catch their breath. Many people have done exactly what any responsible pet owner would do if they witness their dog or cat acting like they can’t breathe, and have rushed them to the vet. As life threatening as it sounds, however, a reverse sneeze is not a serious condition, and the pet will recover on its own without medical treatment.

The most common reason for a dog or cat experiencing a reverse sneezing episode is a result of something that irritated their soft palate (the soft, fleshy tissue extension off the roof of their mouth) and throat which in turn causes a spasm. In most cases, it’s nothing to worry about, but it can be upsetting when you see your dog or cat gasping for air. The irritation affects the trachea which then narrows, making it harder for the pet to get air.New Ad Sidebar - no bag 2

To help your pet get through one of these spasms, you can gently massage their throat or cover their nose to make them swallow which should clear out whatever was irritating their throat. If that doesn’t work, you can offer them food or water, or take them outside. Holding down their tongue will help force more air into their nasal passage and can help. Just be careful the dog or cat doesn’t grab your finger in the process. The spasm is over when they stop sneezing. The pet will recover on their own even if they have an episode while no one is home. However, if your dog or cat is having attacks of reverse sneezing on a regular basis, this can indicate something else is going on, and a trip to the vet is advised.

A variety of things can cause your pet to have a spasm which results in a reverse sneeze, but a specific cause cannot always be diagnosed by a vet even for a dog or cat with a chronic problem. A dog who pulls on a leash, becomes overly excited, has been running around while playing, or eats and drinks too fast can be thrown into a reverse sneeze. Other causes include possible allergies, a dog not used to exercise, household cleaners, perfumes, air spray, dust or pollen not related to an allergy, viruses, post nasal drip, nasal cancer, nasal mites or something caught in their throat.

Signs to watch for that could indicate something more serious is causing the reverse sneezing include a discharge from the nose or a bloody nose, any kind of deformity around the nose area that doesn’t look right, a lack of appetite and energy, or any difficulty in breathing.

Boxers, Shih Tzus and dogs with flat faces have a soft palate that is stretched out more, and they can have bouts of reverse sneezing more than other breeds because they can actually suck the palate into their throat when they inhale. Smaller breeds are also more apt to be affected because they have a smaller throat. Cats don’t usually experience reverse sneezing like dogs, and if you have a cat who has bouts, it’s a good idea to have your vet check him out to make sure he doesn’t have asthma which does require treatment.

For most dogs, an attack of reverse sneezing is over in a matter of a minute or two and they will be just fine with no adverse affects at all. It looks and sounds worse than it is. It is important, however, to understand what a reverse sneeze is so you can be aware of other possible conditions that could be causing your dog or cat’s irritation if it becomes chronic. When you know what’s going on and how to deal with it, you can remain calm and help your pet instead of panicking over what appears to be a breathing problem and rushing to the vet’s office. Your vet will appreciate it, and so will your pet.

Comments

1. Natalie Mora says:

Thank you so much, I have a 1 1/2 year old Shih Tzu and he just had an episode and has had multiple in the pack which freak me the heck out every single time, I’m glad to know now that he’s not dying on me Lol! Thank you!

2. Una mc elhone says:

Thank you so much . My jack Russell just had a reverse sneeze it was really frightening !! I had just sprayed the room with air freshener & she run in after me . Guess what ? Tin is now in bin . Now I’m on alert 2 c if she does it again . Can’t thank u enough .

3. Ginger Wardlaw says:

Thank you for this information. My ShiPoo is 12 and he worries me that he is getting too old. He has poor dental health and doesn’t eat well anymore and then he started this tonight. I was wondering and monitored him while looking this up and it was over before I could finish. it was way different thab when he was about to (pardon me) throw up on my bed which happens with small dogs I have ownd for years. I will keep an eye on it just in case. Thanks for easing my mind.

4. T. Gonce says:

Thank You so Much for this info…. I have been terrified about her not being able to breeth…I’ve had her the the Vet twice an that was $300.00 wasted for nothing….an they still couldn’t tell me a thing…Thank You again…She is all I have…

5. Rhonda says:

Thank you so much. This article helped me and my Australian shepherd. He would go out and play in my back yard and dig holes and come inside reverse sneezing like crazy. He looked like he was choking or going to sick-up something. I thought something was stuck in his nose or throat. I tried giving him drinks but he refused. After reading your article and discussing it with a friend she said try an ice cube. My dog loved it and it helped clear his pallet thank you again.

6. Jm adriano says:

Thank you so much! Now Danilo sleep well. God bless!

7. marie mac says:

Hi! I am in urgent need of an answer or some help in finding an answer! Our dog ate a nacho chip around 6:40 pm on Monday, which was yesterday, and at first he started choking and couldn’t breathe, so I googled how to do the hymlich on dogs and went ahead with it. It worked to where he started breathing, but then started acting like it was stuck in the back of his throat and wouldn’t go down, and later started sneezing while shaking his head back and forth and hitting his face on the ground, and meanwhile, therewas some blood that came out! I thought he was better after he finally drank some water, but then about an hour later, he was doing it again! 🙁 What does that mean, and is it Serious enough to take him in? He weighs about 97 pounds and is a 13 yr old chocolate lab mixed with chesapeak bay. Please let me know ASAP! That would be great! Thanks! 🙂

8. jacqui pattison says:

Hi my Weimaraner bitch has Allergies, I gave her Cetirizine Hydrochloride made by Cipla. It caused her to have a “Reverse Sneezing Episode” I rubbed her throat
    & put her in her crate, within minutes she had her very first Eplilectic Seizeure. So far haven’t found any side effects linked to the medicine as is widely used on dogs. Wondering if you think the “Reverse Sneezing” could of brought it on ??? She has had 2 Anaphylactic episodes in last 5yrs she is now 8yrs.

1. Rhonda says:

My cat had alergic areactions that were so bad that we would have to drop her at the vets before she got any immunization and they would give her Benadryl and an IV bag of fluid for a few hours for every time we had another booster. The first time that Teek was at vet she had a seizure and I was so scared. Vet said all I could do was to be aware of allergies and keep medicine close at hand. Good luck.

9. Tiffany says:

***Please HELP***
    I’m the loving owner of a jackchi (Jack Russell chihuahua mix). She’s almost 5 months but has started making these extreme noises (snorting, grunting, gasping for air) sounds during her sleep. It’s happening more and I’m concerned. I’m not sure if she’s always done this but I’m just aware of it as if a few weeks ago. I adopted her when she was 2 months old. I had a shih tzu poodle mix before and she did the reverse sneezing but I learned how to lightly pinch her nose and it stopped. What my dog is doing now I’m NOT familiar with and it really bothers me. Just today she’s done it 2x while sleeping once it woke me up. No discharge, bleeding, mucus etc just the very strange and scary noises

10. mariah dover says:

my chihuahua snorts like he gets air caught in his throat i think thats what its is but it might be asma or excitment

11. Barb Smith says:

I have a Maltese/Pom and she does this all the time. Every day several times a day. She acts like she is choking and cannot breath. Like a flap of skin is covering her airway or something. It really bothers me. I have tried the messaging her throat and nothing changes. I don’t know what it is. She does the honking noise and can’t breath through her nose. But also through her mouth too. Scares me to death.

1. Jane says:

Cover her nostrils until she stops. My chihuahua does this and i put my fingers on his nose holes and it forces air through his mouth and opens his throat and it stops.
      Just takes a few seconds usually.

12. Christine Gutierrez says:

Thank you sooo much for your valuable information. I am very grateful for all of this information. Every time it would happen to my baby chihuahua I would go into panic mode and near tears watching her gasp for air. I would also think that this would be her last breath and fear the worse. Praise God and your article, now I have a name for it and that she WILL be ok. Whew, thanks again, truly all of this was greatly appreciated!

13. Frank Cristalli says:

Very informative article, it is exactly what our dog is doing. Thank you!!

14. Laurie Ruble says:

My cat doing this honking and she never done this before. I was using raid bug spray around my house to get rid of carpet beetles. So this is my 2nd cat who got allergy to this

1. Karen says:

Be careful with bug spray around animals, it can have a negative effect on them, as you have mentioned here. My sister ended up accidentally killing her guinea pig because she had a fly problem and sprayed bug spray excessively in her apartment. (a relatively small space, but even when I would visit her, the air was pretty thick with fumes) It was really sad. Poor Guinea pig.

15. Becky says:

Thank you for this post I nearly died when I heard my 14 week old collie do this she had such a hissy fit after it happened running around barking

16. Jess says:

My Boxer bull pup started doing this and she seemed to panic more than me, but by trial and error without knowing what it was, I would massage her throat and softly blow on her nose. This would stop it immediately. She actually looks for me now when she starts to “reverse sneeze” so I can help her through it. After it started happening more often i did the research, and I’m glad to know what it is, and that she is ok.

17. Sarah says:

Thanks for this! You cured my freak out.

18. Lesley says:

I have a black lab mix and the first time she did this, I freaked out…recorded it. Next trip to Vet I played it and she said “reverse sneeze” immediately. Living in Nevada, a lot sage brush can affect your pets…Vet recommended a Benadryl if the sneezes become more frequent. Could just be allergies. I also rub her throat and remain calm so she doesn’t panic because I panic. She’s healthy, happy and occasionally makes a bizarre noise 🙂

19. Bill Roberts says:

Thanks for this article. I was wondering what was wrong with my dog. He just started this today. I wont worry so much now. But will keep an eye on him.

Im so glad i read this i almost passed out when my 2month old yorkie was doing jus this. …..he did it and then continued to play like normal 🙂

I have a half boston terrier half pit bull, my frequently has reverse sneezing attacks. They only last a min or 2 but sometimes he will have 5 a day. Sometimes none. He does not have any discharge from his nose, eats regular and is full of energy! Should i be alarmed?

22. sneezing says:

I never heard how cats sneeze