By Tamara McRill
I’m a dog person who likes to make special things for every holiday. So of course I had to make some Valentine’s Day crafts inspired by my canine loves! The three doggie Valentine’s Day crafts featured here offer a little something for everyone and are fairly easy to make. They even make excellent gifts for the dog lovers in your life.
Sweetheart Dog Book Page Art
Have you ever seen those framed book pages with an ink drawing or sketch of a dog on them and wished you could have one of your pet? I have and finally figured out just how simple it was to make. Especially after using some of the same techniques used in making a dog portrait pumpkin.
Supplies: Ruler, scissors, tape, pencil, black ink pen or fine point marker, red marker, book or newspaper page, frame, computer and photo of your dog.
1. Measure the opening of your photo frame.
2. Cut your book or newspaper page 1/2 inch wider than that measurement. (Bonus points if you can find a page about dogs.)
3. Bring up your dog’s photograph on your computer screen. Blow it up just big enough to fit in the center of your book page.
4. Tape your book page to your monitor and lightly trace the photograph. You don’t have to get too detailed, just get the general impression, but don’t forget to give the idea of your pet’s general markings.
5. Untape your book page and go over what you have traced with a black pen or marker.
6. Color the dog’s tongue and collar with red marker.
7. Draw a red heart in the upper right or wherever you like best.
8. Frame your book page art.
Of course, feel free to take any artistic license! Dusty was quite fascinated with his portrait.