Our pets may be small and cute, but their impact on the environment is anything but. Fortunately, there are some super easy ways you can show Mother Earth some love. Here are a few ways to go green with your pet on Earth Day and every day.
1. Switch to an eco-friendly dog waste bag. Plastic bags take about a thousand years to degrade in your city’s landfill. Gross! Opt for a biodegradable brand, like Earth Rated Poop Bags. The company promises their bags are completely broken apart into natural carbon dioxide and water in as little as 24 months.
2. Choose eco-friendly cat litter. Clay-based cat litters are popular because they’re cheap and readily available. However, many pet owners are unaware that clay cat litter NEVER biodegrades in landfills. Instead, opt for cat litter made from corn, renewable wheat crops, wood shavings, or recycled newspaper.
3. Start composting your dog’s waste. If you already compost your food scraps and yard waste, you’re familiar with the practice. You can compost dog poop with the help of a special disposal system, such as the Doggie Dooley. It works like a septic tank to break down feces with enzymes and bacteria.
4. Be picky about your pet’s protein. Beef production has a much higher environmental impact than chicken or fish. By limiting pet foods derived from beef, you can help reduce carbon pollution. For dogs, try CANIDAE® Grain Free PURE Sea Adult Dog Formula Made with Fresh Salmon. Cats go crazy for CANIDAE® Grain Free PURE Elements Adult Cat Formula Made with Fresh Chicken.
5. Quit flushing your cat’s litter. Yes, even if the packaging says the litter is flushable! What goes down the toilet eventually ends up in waterways and oceans. By flushing cat poop, pet owners put wildlife at risk for contracting a parasite linked to cats. For now, the best solution is bagging up your cat’s poop and sending it to a sanitary landfill.
6. Make your own pet toys. There’s no need to buy dog and cat toys when you can make your own at home. Tie a couple of knots in an old sock and play tug with your dog. Cats are highly entertained by simple things you probably have around your house including toilet paper rolls, ping pong balls, cardboard boxes and even shoelaces.
7. Buy pet food in bulk. Stocking up on pet food helps cut down on packaging and trips to the store, thus saving gas. You can buy CANIDAE® dog food in bags up to 30 pounds and CANIDAE® cat food in bags up to 15 pounds. Plastic, glass or metal containers may be used to help protect pet food from the elements, but be sure to keep the kibble in it’s original bag, rather than pouring it directly into the storage bin.
It’s important to go green for your pet’s health not just on Earth Day, but every day. Check out our additional tips for improving your dog or cat’s carbon pawprint.