Alaskan Malamute, Siberian and Alaskan Husky Differences

November 13, 2013

To the untrained eye, it’s not always easy to tell the difference between some dog breeds. The Alaskan Malamute, Siberian Husky and Alaskan Husky may resemble each other, but there are differences between them.

The Alaskan Malamute is the state of Alaska’s official mascot, and one of the oldest of the northern sled dogs. Named after the Inuit tribe Mahlemuts, the nomadic people of Alaska used this powerful breed for centuries to hunt seals and pull heavy sleds to move supplies and people throughout the Arctic region. Today the breed looks much like it did 4,000 years ago. The Malamute is taller and heavier than the Siberian Husky. The dog stands 23 to 25” at the shoulder and weighs 75 to 85 pounds, though it’s not unusual for a muscular male to hit 100 pounds.

The Malamute has brown eyes and a broad head with the ears set wide apart. His bushy tail is carried over his back. Because the Malamute is heavier than a Husky, he is less likely to jump a fence, and will use his powerful paws to dig out instead. This breed should not be let off his leash; he has a high prey drive and loves to run. He can be gender aggressive with same sex dogs, but is affectionate with his human family. This is an intelligent, confident and stubborn breed.

The Siberian Husky has roots in Siberia where the breed was used by semi-nomadic tribes called the Chukchi people. When forced to expand their hunting grounds and hunt farther from home, they developed a dog with endurance to go great distances while pulling a light load at a moderate speed in harsh weather conditions. The breed was developed to preserve needed energy to stay warm. In 1909, the first Siberian Huskies arrived in Alaska as racing dogs. At 35 to 60 pounds and 20 to 23.5” at the shoulders, the Sibe is smaller boned than the Malamute. They can have brown eyes, one brown and one blue, both blue, green or parti-colored eyes. The head is smaller and not as broad as the Malamute, and their eyes and ears are set closer together.

When on alert, the bushy tail is carried in a sickle shape that drops lower when the dog is relaxed. Because they are pack animals, the Siberian Husky gets along well with other dogs. He is stubborn, intelligent, confident, independent and loving with those who have earned his respect and trust. An opportunistic escape artist, a Sibe can squeeze through the smallest hole or quickly dig underneath any fence. Once he’s out, this dog will run to his heart’s content. Do not let him off leash – his prey drive will kick in if he sees anything move, like the neighbor’s cat.

The Alaskan Husky is a true sled dog that’s a type of dog rather than a specific breed, and not recognized by any kennel club. The Malamute and Siberian Husky are purebreds and recognized by the American Kennel Club. The Alaskan Husky was bred solely for working ability, not appearance. Breeders of this dog didn’t care what he looked like as long as he could pull his weight, so Alaskan Huskies are varied in their appearance. For hundreds of years Inuit people and mushers bred dogs with other canines found in villages, and there is no specific breed standard that dictates breeding practices. They needed a dog that was smart and could run hard and fast with the strength to pull heavy loads.

The dog’s coat is mostly short to medium in length with an undercoat. Alaskan Huskies are long legged with a lean body, deep in the chest, pointy ears, a tail that curls over the back and usually brown eyes. They weigh around 35 to 50 pounds and are taller than the Siberian Husky, although their height can vary. Some resemble a cross between the Malamute and Sibe, and others look more wolf like. The Alaskan Husky is faster than the Malamute or Siberian Husky.

Despite their differences, these three dog breeds do have some things in common. They can be difficult to train because they are independent and willful. They’re intelligent working dogs who learn at their own speed, not necessarily at yours. All three have a thick double-coat. They have a high prey drive and are escape artists. They are sled dogs of the North, born to run, which they all love to do.

Top photo by Randi Hausken
Middle photo by Shannon Pearce
Bottom photo by Jeff Nelson

Comments

1. sharky says:

i have a siberian husky and i love her soo much.she turned one yesterday and im soo happy with my dog.she has helped me through rough times and was alwys there to cheer me up whenever i was down

2. Kimberly Busko says:

I have a Siberian husky, hes 1 and is soooo very full of energy!!!!! People say hes small for a husky, yet it’s because he is in fact a pure bred Siberian, a lot of people do confuse Alaskan and Siberian Huskies. This article was a fantastic read!

3. Cindy A says:

I have a wonderful Malamute! He’s 6 years old and 130 pounds , he loves to play with our other medium dog . But … he does love to attack prey if it’s in his yard !!! He’s killed 5 Possums one skunk snacks and a few field mice . But I do believe he’s protecting what’s his property. I was in the garden and a snake right by me ,he knew it and killed the snake . He’s so loving and a very well trained baby ! He thinks he’s still a baby and yes he will forever be my baby .

4. Zlaei says:

I have a dog like that and it’s a girl

5. Dave Young says:

I say this with a VERY heavy heart cuz I love my Huskies but every word in this story is 100% true. I had 2 mini pins for 15 years; 1 male “Sydney” & 1 female “Chloe”. A year ago I bought 2 Siberian Huskies 1 male (Echo) & 1 fem.(Sky). Sky went into heat about 10 months later. My 2 lb. Mini-pin Sydney was barking and just annoying my 64 lb. male Huskie for a week and 1 day while Sydney (2lbs) was in Echos (64 lbs) face growling & barking and I guess Echo got tired of it and attacked and killed Sydney in 2 sec. flat. It was a not pretty. They lived together for 10 months so we thought everything was ok. Now in Echos defense he was provoked. We decided to keep Ski but we take Echo to the SPCA. I balled my eyes out for a week. I buried Sydney and was torn bad about selling Echo. I’m a tough former Marine and we don’t cry but I lost 2 dogs and it was like losing 2 of my kids, NO EXAGGERATION! I still have Cloe & Ski and I love my Huskie so much it’s unreal. You bond hard with Huskies quickly. They are so Damn loving and they show it. Do get one if your thinking of it but, HUSKIES ARE NOT like any other dog breed, PLEASE do your homework before you buy a Huskie, but THEY ARE WELL WORTH IT!

6. Dave Young says:

I have a Siberian Huskie I’ve had for 1.5 years. Everything I’ve read on the internet about is pretty true I.e. “The do’s & don’ts of owning a Huskie” They are not for beginner dog owners. Be careful if you have other very small pets (they look at them as food), though they are GREAT with kids of all ages. They are DEFINATELY master escape artists. You HAVE to give them lots of exercise and attention & expensive dog food. I’ve owned over 14 differnet breeds of dog in my life at one time or another and my favorite by far is my 2 Huskies. They do require ALOT more than other breeds but are worth it. The huge amount of love and loyalty they give you shows why.

7. Miriam Arellano says:

I still can’t tell the difference I don’t know what type of husky I have she has brownish grayish and white fur light blue eyes,nails she is aggressive towards strangers

8. they all are great breeds.

9. Sandra A Douglas says:

I don’t have papers on my 9 month old husky. He is 28 inches at shoulder, looks a little narrower in the face than a malamute, has strong legs and a thick coat. He also has two light blue eyes…He has gorgeous markings…could he be a cross between the siberian and the malamute?

10. James barr says:

I have been waiting for the right time to adopt one of these magnificent dogs but now I have the time and place.

1. Karen says:

I have a beautiful one that’s been in my horse pasture for 2weeks. I’ve been feeding him to gain my trust. He needs a home. He’s so smart and beautiful.

11. Elizabeth P Quinton says:

I’m still confused my not sureifmydog a Husky or a Malamue

1. CARISSA GRIFFITH says:

MALAMUTES ARE TALLER AND HAVE LONGER DOG HAIR, ALMOST LOOK LIKE THEY PUT A WET PAW IN AN ELECTRICAL SOCKET

12. Fran Gutheil says:

Steve Rowe – Read the description again regarding the Malamute and Husky. Mals have brown eyes only, Husks can have and color. That top photo is a Malamute ie. the eyes, larger head and wider set ears. I found a photo comparing the two. Here is the link: https://www.google.com/search?q=photos+of+husky+versus+malamute&rlz=1C1EKKP_enUS738US740&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=cPt_i9nRIDT3lM%253A%252C1rLizNIMf4aY9M%252C_&usg=AI4_-kQYfV_FW7YF626PxPabcG9O77NwqQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi3yK2K8ZDgAhXnSt8KHToBB2cQ9QEwC3oECAAQGg#imgrc=cPt_i9nRIDT3lM:

1. Pat says:

Mals can have blue eyes but blue is considered undesirable. Eye color not used.
      Best way Is get DNA testing of ur dog.

13. Tori says:

what is the tallest Alaskan husky ever recorded?

1. it depends on how the dog is raised

14. Steve Wroe says:

The main reason why I’ve gooogled this question after such a long time wondering, is the amount of people when I’m out walking or visiting a couple of local pubs I go to and people are always asking me ‘whats the difference bwteen the breeds’? Thank you now I know. If you look at the Top photo by Randi Hausken my Siberian is the spitting image of that Husky. Originally a friend rescued him as a young pup where I first met him, I’ve had him from when he was 7months old, he is now seven. these dogs are amazing and their trates are as stated, you need to earn their loyalty and trust, they are very stubbourn and dont really like being told what to do, he sheds his coat all year round, he is an amazing escape artist and loves free running but, this only happens when I’m with him, yes I do let him off his lead and he will straight away go in to hunting mode. Ive been lucky that I’m able to recall him at any point when chasing a deer, fox and occasionally a badger. He is an amazing rodent catcher which is a great help to me and fellow workshop owners on our industrial estate. he does have a tendancy to run up to other dogs and their owners, comes to a dead stop, dosn’t look the other dog/s in the eye and waits for a reaction, no reaction he greets them and then walks away. If I dont know the dog I always put him on his leash but, generally in my experience if dogs are on their leads it usually ends in a bad meeting.
    Ive had dogs all my life from a boy, all long term and happy dogs, this is my first Siberian Husky and would take on another with a drop of a hat. I would finish by saying my Sibe is with me 24/7, comes to work with me at my workhop where he lays outside unleashed and I only go to pubs/resturants where he’s allowed, odd occasions he has to stay in the van but only for a short period.
    As for keeping a Sibe or Malamute on a leash I would say yes unlless your 100% sure you can recall them. Thanks

15. Karen Aldridge says:

All be haviors of a dog of any breed are different is some ways. It just all depends on their breeding and training that will make them act certain ways. If you get a pitbull for example, and it was not breed correctly it could have behavioral problems, or if it is trained to be a fighting dog ( which is sad) will also have behavioral tissues. I have found that out with all types of breeds.

16. Pedro says:

How do I know if my dog is a sirberban or a Alaskan husky

17. Phil Marshall III says:

Hi, I was a Videographer with Carnival Cruise lines aboard the Carnival Spirit. We were in Kitchekan, Alaska where I met a native who has a giant malamute. He told me that a malamute is a ” Wolf that has been domesticated over time”. Is that true?

18. One says:

Are animals to you just objects?! I’m well aware of their differences in terms of their appearance as anyone who’d seen many of them would be. What’s the differences in their temperament?? What are somethings in their behavior that differentiates the two?? That’s why I searched for their differences not the obvious differences in their appearance.

19. Patrick Bogert says:

What is the most worriesome part of these dogs is the “ high Prey drive”.
    Our neighbours Jack Russel was attacked by a pair of these dogs off leash on a beach. Now we are frightened to take our dogs on the beach. These dogs should be on leash or fenced in. In a Working environment these dogs might be ok, but as a pet, I just dont get why anyone would want a dog like that…

1. Steph says:

What a ridiculous comment. I’ve grown up with 4 huskies that were nothing but adoring and loving. It all depends if they’ve received the proper training and discipline. It’s the same as saying pit bulls are bully dogs. But not all of them are bullies.

1. Candice black says:

I second this! Our dog loves all other dogs and people …. birds, mice and flies on the other hand 😀

2. Smoltz says:

Thank you for this comment!

2. Phil Ulloa says:

What an ignorant thing to say. I personally KNOW that my dog loves every member of my family. Do they have a hunter instinct? Absolutely. What every dog would want. It’s an animal that you and your family need to adjust to, as well as the dog. There are a lot of dynamics, but all have an answer.

3. Tim Blackburn says:

Yeah, this comment is a bit ludicrous. To judge an entire breed of dog from one incident is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. Haven’t we learned to not judge an entire RACE of people based off of one incident. It’s the same with animals, my Malamute is the sweetest dog in the world. You have to train them correctly. You should not be “afraid to bring your dog to the beach anymore” because this happened. Be vigilant and enjoy yourself, but don’t judge a wonderful breed of dog, just because you can handle a big dog.

Thanks.

4. CJ says:

This only means they will chase, not necessarily harm. My Husky chases my cats all the time when they make sudden moves, but he never hurts them. He is exercising the instinct by playing, so dont worry much there.

5. Nikki says:

Shit even with a high prey drive if I tell my malamute no she leaves whatever it is alone. She has no interest in attacking either. We had a rodent problem and had to move but she was scared of the mice. I wish her prey drive kicked in. Her only flaw is she’s possessive of me if I hold her or if she wants on my lap and another dog or sometimes some guys I’ve dated that she wasn’t fond of got near me. (She adores the only long term one) … anyways if you’re opinion is like this you don’t deserve the love of a northern dog ‍♀️‍♀️

6. Tony says:

I regularly volunteer at a shelter where we have a long term resident who is a Sibe. I would take him home in a New York minute if I could. Most dogs there are dog reactive, but this guy won’t even look at, let alone chase a squirrel and always walks loose leash. Opinions like this, about an ill trained individual in a bad situation (Why is YOUR dog off leash in public in the first place?) do not reflect the norm. Personally, I am tired of mindless, ill-trained toy dogs initiating confrontations … but that is another issue. My dog (a Dutch Shepherd) is regularly rewarded for ignoring anyone we don’t know!

7. Rachel says:

And I myself was attacked by a Jack Russell as a young child which led to me getting facial lacerations and a torus fracture on my right arm. I also had to have a post rabies vaccination due to this. To quote you, “I just don’t get why anyone would want a dog like that…”

What a ridiculously dangerous and uneducated comment to swing around. A dogs aggression and potential to attack another dog or human is down to their training and home environment and NOT their breed! I do not hold my attack against other Jack Russells – I have known plenty that are the sweetest dogs you could ever meet. I hold it against the owner of the dog who didn’t train or socialise him at all. The same applies to ANY breed of dog, including Malamutes. My own boy is a gentle giant and has been trained to avoid confrontation and aggressive dogs. In your example, the owner of those two are 100% to blame and I am sorry for the poor Jack Russell they attacked.

I sincerely hope your own dogs have been trained diligently and correctly, and you are not assuming your “Lab/Beagle/whatever” will not attack based on their breeds, for yours and your dogs sakes.

8. Kevin says:

I’ve had Malumutes for 16 yrs these are recognized as gental giants.They are not aggressive nor do they chase prey. In fact there regarded as safe around kids.
      The problem I have on a regular basis is small dogs getting in his face and barking and carries on. And Russel Terriers are no exception to this I’m ruteenly tell other dog owners he will put up with it but at a point he may not. Keep in mind are not aggressive but will go against a Polar Bear in the wild. My dog is a male that weighs 130 pounds he stands at eye level to std. counter tops
      So I have to say your story has more then what your saying.or it’s BS.

20. Marsha Fink says:

Is there an Alaskan Husky rescue service?

1. Candice black says:

We are in Germany, a lady nearby rescues these dogs from the streets of Romania where breeders release the unsold dogs when they are no longer pups and worth anything. We got ours for 300euros with passport and all treatments already taken care of.

21. Judy Pitolay (East Selkirk, MB) Canada says:

Just read your article about differences between the 2 Huskies & Malamute. We have a malamute, almost 11 yrs old, & hitting about 95 lbs, heavy coat. He used to run when he was a pup, at 6 months old, we had him fixed, took about 1 yr for the running away to “leave”. He has never been on a leash, he is super friendly, a very caring dog, likes to be outside, has his straw-lined house, but also likes to come inside when he wants company. We live on 10 acres, he does not stray at all anymore, stays close to home. Yes, he has a high prey drive & has gone after cats, rats, mice, rodents of any kind. Even got a few muskrats that had set up “housekeeping” in our trout pond. He likes his meat (I don’t give him raw meat) & likes his moose & deer bones (I live with a hunter). He is the absolute BEST dog. He is not a guard dog by any means, but he does announce any visitors to our house. He loves children & old people & is very gentle around them. Has a touch of arthritis now, he’s not as spry as he used to be. He knows when I’m home alone & stays close by.

22. Wendy H says:

Thank you so much. I have a female malamute and was beginning to think she was a brown eyed husky, but her size is way too big for a husky

23. Di Twineham says:

Very good information I have a Siberia husky and wanted to kno the difference. Thank you for the information.

24. nancy taylor says:

How often and for how many days does the Siberian husky blow their coat? Is there a Siberian Husky with short hair? any breeders in AL?

1. Anna says:

Depends on the climate. I live in California when it’s warm the majority of the time and my husky sheds all year round and blows her coat when the weather changes, and can last for more than a month.

1. Chris Knight says:

I live in UK, coat sheds all year too. In July I bathe with degreasing veterinary shampoo and blast dry to release undercoat, followed by a week of comb grooming, quarter by quarter, head, neck and front and then the rest. This regime cuts down shedding until the winter coat comes in in November… which can start shedding again in February to May, and you could groom continuously all year round without ever feeling that you had finished.

25. TOSHA NUGENT says:

I have heard of the Alaskan Husky being referred to as Alusky. Is this true?
    I had a solid white with brown eyes hundred pound male. The older he got he developed a reddish saddle looking shape of hair on his back. Is that a particular name of a color and if so what is it?
    I don’t know if he was an Alaskan Husky or a malamute is there any way to tell the difference? I would like to know because I want another one.

26. i like alaska dogs rather than husky dogs. because i like that

27. EmojiGirlGamingYT says:

I love huskies! They are my all-time favorite dogs/animals! They are just so beautiful and loyal and so funny! I mainly love that they talk!

28. I need to know the similar things not the differences

1. Dick says:

But this article is on the differences. Go.somewhere else!

2. Phil Schmertz says:

Then perhaps you shouldn’t rely on an article with “differences” in the title.

29. PJ says:

We are on our 3rd Husky. They are beautiful dogs. Our latest is the calmest of the three. She has one brown and one blue eye, and long hair compared to our other two. We also have an Australian Shepard, and the two are only 5 days apart in age. They get along quite well. I have a friend who is a big U Washington fan. They are the Huskies. However Dub, their mascot is a Malamute.

30. kaden salsberry says:

do u know what a cinnamon husky is

1. Kars says:

It’s a coat colour variant

31. I have seen Huskies with short hair w/o the double layer hair. Is there a name for them and where can I find them?
    I lost my two Siberian Huskies after 17 years.

32. Richard D says:

Do anyone know where I can find Malamute breeders in California? Looking to purchase a companion dog for my Husky

33. Robyn Zech says:

TY for info. I have a breeding question; what % in the pups would U get by breeding a 100% Alas husky w/ q 50% sibe husky, 1/4 Mal,& 1/4 Alaskan husky?? My brain won’t do it for me! TY!!

1. Dakota says:

62.5% Alaskan Husky, 25% Sib. Husky, 12.5% Malamute

2. Kevin M. says:

Why would you want to cross bread (MUTTS) that’s just cruel these are big anamals. Cross breading is a welcome mat for defects that shortens there life causes problems I only get Pure Bread from well established breaders that are AKC REGISTERED.

1. Katie says:

No it’s not. Mutts tend to have fewer health issues and live longer lives. Instead of “always” buying purebred, check the shelter.

34. Jennifer says:

I absolutely love huskies

35. Deb says:

My Alaskan malamute weighed 135 of pure muscle also. He was a great dog. Lived with a cat and they were best friends, but he did like to herd the cat. He would butt his head gently on the side of the cat to get the cat to go his way. The cat would only go if he wanted, then he would put the dog in his place. He was smart and loyal and would howl if we left the house. He did love the snow and would pull my son on a sled. But he was truly a house dog. He wanted to be wherever we were. The shedding is crazy. You have to be prepared for the white undercoat to shed all the time. They shed enough in a day to make a sweater. Great dogs.

1. Jillian says:

They are very talkative dogs… They tend to howl when they hear another dog bark or howl.

1. Dianne Whetzel says:

ours only barks when wants to say something to us most of the time its when shes like a child never wants to stop playing or to go in at night to sleep

36. Susie says:

Loving, Loyal to a fault & so Awesome to have as a companion. Love my Bleu & Pynk❤️

37. Ellen says:

Thanks for the information. I’ve been wondering the similarities; now I see the differences.

38. Great, very helpfully and perfectly depicted, thank you !

39. creative hormone rush says:

We used to have a dog that appeared to be a cross between malamute, husky, and golden retriever. His underside from chest to tail had beautiful, very long blond feathering, no tail curl-over, downward ears that would only perk up to half mast, the little blonde spots above his eyes (his entire topside, sides, top of head and top of the snout were black) and a pink tongue that had ridging in it. I’d read that Huskies have ridged tongues; do malamutes as well?

1. Tess says:

Sounds just like mine!

40. Taylor Rainwater says:

One other thing about the husky I just rescued, I found that she is extremely possessive over toys, bones, and food. I am not sure how to train her to not be possessive because when I try to grab the object that she is possessing, she snaps at me but she never actually bites me, she just wraps her mouth around my hand or arm but she never bites down. I am very confident and willful myself, but I find myself struggling with her. Now that she has warmed up to me, she doesn’t seem to mind leaving her possessions unattended when it is just me in the room, but when other people come into the room she guards it with her life. I am not sure what I can do to break her of that mindset. Any advice will help!
    Thank you again!!

1. Jake says:

If yourescued your husky, you’re probably not sure about her past.She might have grown up in hostile enviroment and that might be the reason why she is so possesive.I got my husky when she was 3 months old and it really takes a long time to teach them, it took a long time for her to get used to a new home.They have their own head and personality.Question is why would you take her food or toys away.You should leave her alone everytime she eats.Huskies need patience

1. Judy Pitolay (East Selkirk, MB) Canada says:

we trained our malamute to back away if we go near his food. If he wants a treat, he has to sit. He will take it very gently when offered. He does not have toys, never has.

2. lucas says:

I just got an Alaskan Husky as a rescue. He was very possessive of his toys, especially his favorite ones. He would growl. and one time bit me good. It only took a couple days to train this out of him. If you think your dog is going to bite you be safe and don’t do this!

What I did, I would have a handful of treats (treats he really loves), starting with a toy that he didn’t LOVE, but just liked.
      I would ask him to give me the toy and once I had taken the toy give him some treats and say good boy. I then would give him the toy back immediately. Repeat this a few times, I did like 10, don’t do it until he is sick of it or frustrated with losing his toy! At the end give him his toy and leave him alone to play. Repeat this over and over, and work your way up to toys that he is more defensive over.
      Never leave his toys on the ground when he isn’t using them, they are really your toys, pick them up. Only give him one when he asks for it and don’t hand it to him and let him take it from your hand. Instead put it on the ground, and teach him a phrase that means it is fine to take it now, like “get it” or “go ahead”. Make sure you have another word that is negative when he takes it before being told like “no” and try to say it before he takes it, reposition your body so you are over it and he will hopefully back off of it as you are showing that it is still yours.
      The goal of all of this is to teach him two things,
      1. The toys are yours not his, you are nice and let him use them when you want to!
      2. If you do take his toy, it isn’t bad, he gets treats, and can even get his toy back! Double reward! 😉

Remember that huskies need a lot of exercise!! if you cant take him running a lot, please get him a weighted backpack so he can get tired out. Read about safely using the backpack, and again don’t try any of this if you feel a risk of being injured!

3. Melanie Valle says:

Petco has a spray called bad behavior. It has phermones that isnt pleasant but safe for the dog. Anytime your dog starts to misbehave you spray it about 15 inches from their face. It works. Soon they learn not to do whatever it is they shouldnt. I hope that helps. Also they have wireless fences. To keep your dog from running off escaping. Its about 386.00 dollars but well worth it.

41. Taylor Rainwater says:

This article helped me a lot! Thank you very much. I actually just rescued a husky pup that ran in front of my car. She has been abused so when we took her to an animal shelter she didn’t pass any of the tests except the one when they bring another dog in to see how she reacts to other dogs. I know she deserves a good home, so I took her under my wing until I can rehabilitate her. I am very knowledgeable when it comes to working with and rehabilitating abused dogs, but I knew nothing about huskies and what their behaviors are until I read your article. Everything you said has turned out to be true, and you helped me figure out what type of husky she is! (Siberian)
    Anyway, thank you very much for your reading it made it very easy for me!

42. Daniel says:

I got a husky from my sister when my sister’s Siberian husky had a litter with another S.husky but one looks like a sheep dog & the other looks red

1. Daniel says:

What’s going on here?? If you know please let me tell me Thx

43. Jacob says:

I have a dog I suspect to be an Alaskan Malamute. One day the Gate was left open and in wandered this huge dog who shed two pillows worth of hair. I am 85% sure she is a malamute and great with dogs her own size (but she views small dogs as fast food) So how can I train her to not wander into the neighbors yard for a little treat?

1. Jenny says:

That is an instinct which is very hard to train out of a dog. Some have mellower personalities and so might be ok with a small fast moving creature but I would never be able to trust ours completely if we tried that. These breeds can have strong “wild” instincts, being closer to wolves than other breeds.

44. Omar G says:

I got my boy Zeus from a family friend, the dad was a pure Siberian huskie, and the mom was a German Shepard. Would that bring any difficulties? Some have said he’s malamute others Siberian from his looks. I would defiantly love to know exactly what he would be.

45. Amy says:

I rescued FROST, pure breed Alaskan HUSKY. Solid white, slanted brown eyes, white all over & “MY GIRL”. Her ONLY con would be SHE’S A LICKER 🙂 I Just rescued COTTON @ 1st of this year, apparently his mother was a Husky & father unknown. Sometimes it’s hard to tell them apart, as COTTON is solid white too. The differences are: COTTON’s eyes are Not slanted, He weighs 10lbs more (65lbs), He can’t JUMP, as FROST can(FROST can clear a 4.5′ fence Flat-footed, deer-like) & he’s A BARKER(that would be his only con) COTTON prefers my fiance & is sometimes deaf to MY ” KENNEL” command 😉 THEY ARE A WONDERFUL BREED, But they are pack animals & happier w/a companion….. They MUST have a Fenced yard (wooden privacy fence) as they live to run & JUMP. As I said, WONDERFUL BREED, but you MUST BE prepared for their needs. MY QUESTION IS, SINCE “ALASKAN HUSKY” ISN’T RECOGNIZED AS A”BREED “, HOW SHOULD I CLASSIFY FROSTY? On this particular site, I’m on right now, MALAMUTE & SIBERIAN are my only choices. I listed COTTON as Siberian (my fiance thinks he’s Shepherd, but original owner says mother was HUSKY), but FROST is 100% Alaskan & I’m NOT SURE HOW TO CLASSIFY HER (as it is for certain FOOD that’s best for her). Thanks for your help, Mike & AMY.

46. I LOVE THIS DOGS,,THEY’RE INTELIGENT,,LOVEABLE,,WILL SEEP WITH ME,HAVE A KING SIZE BED ,,,THE BABY OF HOUSE….THE REASON I’M LOOKING FOR ONE IS BECAUSE I’M LOOSING MY EYE VISION,,,NEED COMPANION, ,LIVE WITH MY SON HIS ,40 YRS. .DOG LOVER,,,,,IM,REMISSION FOR CANCER ,MY SON TOO..HOPING THAT SOMEONE WILL HELP US GET ONE…GOD BLESS.

1. lynn says:

Dear To the Deaf, Blind, Disabled, and all Cancer PT’s
      Thank you for sharing your challenging experiences you face and underwent. A true blessing in life you are for us to have the opprtunity to understand it and learn this life and time are a terrible thing to waist and take for granted.
      My name is Lynn. My parents passed from this awful disease that i would not wish on my worst enemy. It had given me in more ways than one how important it is to appreciate all that you have. The time we have and how much advantages there really are that we often oversee.
      I am responding to you however, in your search for a canine husky companion. Just last nite a ful grown male full breed black and white alaskan with blue eyes and eqipped came strolling in as stray.
      My husband and i would love to keep him but just dont have enough room in our rv to keep him content as his demands are to high for us. We live in our rv and this gorgeous find needs space that we cant provide. If you are still looking or interested in taking this beautiful luxury for a friend well mannered and seems very home oriented perhaps we can work something out. We are in Los Angeles California. Thanks lynn. By the way we named him Oreo. His first likes we had as a welcome snack we shared.

2. Jackie says:

I would make sure, before you get any kind of husky, that you are going to be able to walk and/or run this kind of dog 2 hours a day. I have had two huskies and they require a lot of walking and/or running daily. They will become problematic, frustrated and destructive if you don’t have enough energy for them.

47. Jenny says:

I have a white mulmut she is smart friendly and like to talk a lot .

48. Harlow says:

We own a malamute she is beautiful dog and great with grandkids loves the cold weather and the snow she loves to mush the grand kids on there sleds I can’t get over how powerful she is 80 pounds of pure muscle Gentle With people hates small animals and would lick and robbers who broke in the house

49. henry p says:

Can you breed alaskan huskie and a siberian huskie

50. Rob says:

I have to laugh at this sentence ” though it’s not unusual for a muscular male to hit 100 pounds”.
    This is from the malamute section.
    My Alaskan Malamute weighs 138 pounds and all muscle.
    Think it would be a good time to update page with new information relating to weight!

51. liz says:

I loved this article shows the difference between Siberian Husky Alaskan Husky and Malamute. I have a Siberian Husky mix love to breed thanks for sharing this article

52. ShibaLuv123 says:

Great article, all 3 breeds are beautiful dogs. I love Spitz type dogs, I have a Shiba Inu and he is such a character! 🙂

53. I confuse the Malamute and Siberian, so found this of interest!

1. Emily says:

We just one out of two of our dogs and I was wondering if we had the malamute from the puppy would he learn to like our shitzhu and cats ?

1. Mal mom says:

I believe you need to recheck some information for accuracy about the Alaskan Malamute- I had a pure bred with papers for 0 yers and in all the research I did about the breed over ten years stated – a pure bred Mal would ONLY have BROWN eyes – if a Mal has anything other than brown eyes they are a mixed breed not a pure breed. You may want to look that up and edit your statement.

1. Rebecca says:

According to the AKC’s breed standard for the Alaskan Malamute the breed has brown eyes. Any blue eyes are a disqualifying fault.