Effective: August 28, 2018
Notice of Information Collected and Disclosed
This Policy tells you, among other things, what information we gather from you through our Web Site, how we may use or disclose that information, and our efforts to protect it.
Information You Provide
You may browse certain areas of this Web Site without giving us your personal information. We collect your personal information when you choose to provide it to us; for example, we request information from you when you:
- Account Registration: Log-on to certain areas of our Web Site, where you are prompted to provide us with your Login and password as a condition to gaining access to certain information, materials or services. For example, retailers that register for our online Retailer Support function are asked to provide us the following information: name, store name, zip code, user name and password. You can sign up to be a brand ambassador at https://www.canidae.com/brand-ambassador/ by providing us your name, email, street address, pet type (cat/dog), pet name, pet birthday, pet allergies, types of Canidae products you use, where you buy (online/in store) and the social media (Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, etc.) pages for your pets. You can sign up as a retailer for mycanidae.com by providing your region, first and last name, email, whether you are a retailer, distributor or demo rep and the city, state or postal code of the store you work at.
- Online Ordering: We may provide functionality that allows you to order products and services through our Web Site. In such a case, we may collect your name, title, company, email address, shipping and billing address, and payment information, such as your credit card information. This information is used for billing purposes and to fill your orders. For example, if we have trouble processing an order, we’ll use this information to contact you. We may also track the products that you purchase from us through the Web Site for marketing and analytical purposes.
- Reviews: You may be contacted by telephone, text or email by a third party to provide reviews regarding Canidae’s processes, products and services. Any information you provide in such reviews will be used by us to improve and develop this Web Site and our processes, products and services.
- Promotions/Surveys: If you participate in a sweepstakes, contest or other promotional offer or provide feedback in an online survey, we may collect certain contact information such as name, email address, mailing address, and phone number as well as any content or survey responses you provide.
- Inquiries: If you send us an email inquiry, we use your email address and other information you provide to respond to that inquiry.
Information Automatically Collected
We may automatically collect the following information about your use of our Web Site or Services through cookies and other technologies: your domain name; your browser type and operating system; web pages you view; links you click; your IP address; the length of time you visit our Web Site and or use our Services; and the referring URL, or the webpage that led you to our Web Site. We may combine this information with other information that we have collected about you, including, where applicable, your user name, name, and other personal information. Please see the section “Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms” below for more information.
Our Web Site does track certain aggregate information about the visits to our Web Site. For example, we compile statistics that show the numbers and frequency of visitors to our Web Site and its individual pages. These aggregated statistics are used internally to improve our Web Site and for product development and marketing purposes generally. Those aggregated statistics may also be provided to advertisers and other third parties, but again, the statistics contain no personal information and cannot be used to gather such information.
How We Use Your Information
We may use your personal and other information as follows:
- To provide our Web Site and Services to you, to communicate with you about your use of our Web Site and Services, to respond to your inquiries, to fulfill your orders, provide you with notices about your account, and for other customer service purposes.
- To validate, confirm, verify, deliver, install, and track your order (including to process payment transactions, arrange for shipping, handle returns and refunds, and contact you about your orders, including by email or telephone).
- To tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, to offer location customization, and personalized help and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using the Web Site or our Services.
- For marketing and promotional purposes. For example, we may use your information, such as your email address, to send you news and newsletters, and communicate with you about contests, sweepstakes, special offers, and promotions, or to otherwise contact you about products or information we think may interest you. We also may use the information that we learn about you to assist us in advertising our Services on third party websites.
- To better understand how users access and use our Web Site and Services, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our Web Site and Services and respond to user desires and preferences, and for other research and analytical purposes.
- To use your information in an aggregated non-specific format for analytical and demographic purposes.
- To protect the security or integrity of the Web Site, Services and our business; or
- For other purposes disclosed at the time you provide your information or otherwise with your consent.
How We Share Your Information
We share your information as follows:
- Our Service Providers. We engage third party companies and individuals to perform services on our behalf (e.g., software maintenance services, advertising serving technologies, e-mail service providers, delivery services, database management, web analytics, and other services). These third parties have access to your information so that they may perform these tasks on our behalf and they are prohibited by us from using or disclosing your information for any purpose other than to provide this assistance, except to the extent required by law. We may permit our service providers to use aggregate information which does not identify you or de-identified data for other purposes.
- Select Business Partners. We may share your information with select business partners so that they can provide you with special offers, promotional materials, advertisements and other materials that may be of interest to you. However, Canidae is not responsible for the privacy practices of these business partners, which may use your information for their own purposes.
- Reviews. As part of our commitment to quality customer service, Canidae may provide your name, email and phone number to an independent third party ratings and review service. This service may contact you for the express purpose of independently evaluating our processes, including Canidae’s general service, courtesy, selling, and shipping of actual orders placed. They collect your name, email address, mailing address, phone number, retail store where you shop, number and types of pets, types of products purchased, social media addresses, comments and feedback. Your responses to their questions will be shared with Canidae. No financial or other information will be shared with the third party.
- Business Transfers. If we are acquired by or merged with another company, if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another company, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, we may transfer the information we have collected from you to the other company.
- In Response to Legal Process. We also may disclose the information we collect from you in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a subpoena.
- Compliance with Laws and Legal Process. We cooperate with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We must disclose your information in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements. We may disclose information to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including but not limited to subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of us or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, illegal, unethical or legally actionable.
- Aggregate and De-Identified Information. We may share aggregate or de-identified information about users with third parties and publicly for marketing, advertising, research or similar purposes.
Any non-personal information, communications and material you send to this Web Site or to us by e-mail are on a non-confidential basis. We are free to use and reproduce any such information freely, and for any purpose whatsoever. Specifically, we will be free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how or techniques contained in such information for any purpose, including developing, manufacturing or marketing products. Any information you send to this Web Site must be truthful, not violate the rights of others and be legal.
Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms
Currently, our systems do not recognize browser “do-not-track” requests. You may, however, disable certain tracking as discussed in this section (e.g., by disabling cookies), but such disabling will impair use of the Web Site and Services.
Cookies. Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer’s hard drive through your web browser for record-keeping purposes. Some cookies allow us to make it easier for you to navigate our Web Site and Services, while others are used to enable a faster log-in process or to allow us to track your activities at our Web Site and Services. We use two types of cookies: session and persistent cookies.
- Session Cookies. Session cookies exist only during an online session. They disappear from your computer when you close your browser or turn off your computer. We use session cookies to allow our systems to uniquely identify you during a session or while you are logged into the Web Site. This allows us to process your online transactions and requests and verify your identity, after you have logged in, as you move through our Web Site.
- Persistent Cookies. Persistent cookies remain on your computer after you have closed your browser or turned off your computer. We use persistent cookies to track aggregate and statistical information about user activity.
We use a number of pixel tags, such as pixels for Facebook, Twitter, Google Analytics, and Adwords. Pixel tags are very small images or small pieces of data embedded in images, also known as “web beacons” or “clear GIFs,” that can recognize cookies, the time and date a page is viewed, a description of the page where the pixel tag is placed, and similar information from your computer or device.
Disabling Cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can edit your browser options to block them in the future. The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your computer from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Visitors to our Web Site who disable cookies will not be able to browse certain areas of the Web Site or use the Services.
If you receive communications from us that you do not want to receive, you can opt-out from receiving these communications by contacting us to stop sending them to you as set forth in the Contact Information section below or by using the unsubscribe mechanism that is provided.
You may also “opt-out” entirely from providing personal information to us by not registering on or providing any personal information through our Web Site. You may also choose at a later date to:
- Request a copy of personal information we have collected from you, if any.
- Change/correct any personal information we have about you.
- Request us to delete any personal information we have about you.
- Express any concern you have about our use of your personal information.
We will use reasonable efforts to respond to and accommodate your requests and will explain to you if we are not able to fulfill your request. We reserve the right not to accommodate a request where not practicable or commercially reasonable, except where we required to do so by law.
We maintain reasonable security procedures to help protect against loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction of the information you provide to us. Please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you disclose or transmit to us online and cannot be responsible for the theft, destruction, or inadvertent disclosure of your information.
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account password and for any access to or use of the Services using your password, whether or not authorized by you. Please notify us immediately of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security.
Please note that e-mail may not be encrypted and cannot be considered a secure means of transmitting sensitive information. We will never ask you to submit your financial data, such as your credit card account numbers, via e-mail.
Third Party Sites
Our Web Site and Services may contain links to third-party websites. Any access to and use of such linked websites is not governed by this Policy, but instead is governed by the privacy policies of those third party websites. We are not responsible for the information practices of such third party websites.
We are concerned about the safety of children and their use of the Internet. The Web Site is not directed at children under the age of 13 and does not knowingly collect personal data from children under the age of 13. If we receive actual knowledge that we have received such personal information without the required verifiable parental consent, we will delete the information from our database as soon as we practicably can. If you are a resident of the EEA or Switzerland, you must be at least 16 years old to access and use the Web Site or Services.
Please note that the Web Site and Services are directed towards users who reside in the United States. By using the Web Site and Services, you consent to the collection, storage, processing, and transfer of your information in and to the United States, or other countries and territories, pursuant to the laws of the United States. Some of these countries may not offer the same level of privacy protection as your own. Any such transfers will comply with safeguards as required by relevant law.
If you are a resident of the EEA or Switzerland, the following information applies:
Purposes of processing and legal basis for processing
As explained above, we process personal data as defined under data protection laws in various ways depending upon your use of the Services. We process personal data on the following legal bases: (1) with your consent, such as when you request that we send you promotional emails and newsletter; (2) as necessary to perform our agreement to provide Services, such as when your order products and services from us; and (3) as necessary for our legitimate interest in providing the Web Site and Services where those interests do not override your fundamental rights and freedom related to data privacy.
Right to lodge a complaint
Users that reside in the EEA or Switzerland have the right to lodge a complaint about our data collection and processing actions with the supervisory authority concerned.
Personal information we collect may be transferred to, and stored and processed in, the United States or any other country in which we or our affiliates or subcontractors maintain facilities, which laws may offer less protection than the laws of your jurisdiction of residence.
Users that reside in the EEA or Switzerland are entitled to the following rights with regard to your personal information and data:
- Right of access to your personal data, to know what information about you we hold
- Right to correct any incorrect or incomplete personal data about yourself that we hold
- Right to restrict/suspend our processing of your personal data
- Right to complain to a supervisory authority if you believe your privacy rights are being violated
Additional rights that may apply to you in certain instances:
- Right of data portability (if our processing is based on consent and automated means)
- Right to withdraw consent at any time (if processing is based on consent)
- Right to object to processing (if processing is based on legitimate interests)
- Right to object to processing of personal data for direct marketing purposes
- Right of erasure of your personal data from our system (“right to be forgotten”) if certain grounds are met
To exercise these rights, you can contact us as forth in the Contact Information section below.
As a general rule, we will retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected, provided that we may retain certain information for longer period if justified by our legitimate interests or if required for legal or accounting purposes, such as to comply with legal obligations, resolve disputes, preserve legal rights, or enforce our agreements.
California Privacy Rights
Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code permits California residents to request from a business, with whom the California resident has an established business relationship, information related to the personal information disclosed by Canidae to third parties for direct marketing purposes, and the names and addresses of the third parties with whom the business has shared such information during the immediately preceding calendar year. You may make one request each year by contacting us as forth in the Contact Information section below.
Effective Date and Future Changes
This Policy is effective as of the date indicated above. We may occasionally change this Policy. If we do, we will post the changes on the Web Site and the changes will take effect as soon as posted. If we change our information practices in the future, we will post the changes to our Web Site to notify you and provide you with the ability to opt out of these new uses. If you are concerned about how your information is used, you should check back at our Web Site periodically.
Please read this Policy carefully and feel free to contact us by sending us a message at https://www.canidae.com/contact-us/. You can also reach us by telephone at 800.398.1600 if you have any questions regarding its contents.